After the Storm
Once you return to your home, focus on documenting by completely inventorying and valuing all damages and costs to repair or replace your property, regardless of your insurance. If your rental, home or business was insured for flood damage, there are differences in how a flood works versus home insurance claims that get adjusted and settled however, they have similarities. Wind damage will be covered under your homeowner's policy, while flood damage caused by storm surge should be covered under your flood policy.
Check your home and wind policies for special deductibles or coverages related to Hurricane, wind, hail and all damage. You'll find lots of information in your local library, tips, videos and tools. We're rooting for your recovery and are here to help.
- Take photos of the damage before any clean-up or repairs are done.
- Keep a diary of conversations with insurance, repair, government and other professionals. To prevent any confusion
- Focus on drying/cleaning out, avoiding further damage, while getting all damage inspected, measured and estimated by qualified, reputable and independent experts.
- Flood insurance policies have different rules than home insurance policies.
- Start working on a detailed and itemized "proof of loss" form but don't rush and leave things out.
- Give your home and/or flood insurer a chance to do the right thing. They will always do the right thing