Commercial Water Damage, SERVPRO is here to help
Commercial Water Damage
Flooding and water damage events throughout Long Island, in Nassau and Suffolk County commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park works quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges but what doesn't. We know how to handle it.
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park understands that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need, 631-661-3802
About SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park
SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park is available 24/7 to help with Commercial Water Damage Events to make it "Like it never even happened." Again, please give us a call at 631-661-3802 for any issues you may have.
Preparing for a Thunderstorm
Thunderstorms can be more dangerous than you think! They happen often and can cause a lot of damage to your home. Of course, there are ways to help prevent this.
To prepare for a Thunderstorm, you should do the following:
Getting ready for a storm
A rip out was needed after this storm. The storm damaged the floors in this home
While it might be a welcome relief after a long winter, the spring season doesn't always warrant sunny and warm weather. In fact, this season is notorious for bringing heavy rains, lightning, thunder, and even tornadoes. Protecting your business and its employees by being prepared is your first line of defense against the potential for spring storm damage. Your second is the right package for your business, which is complete with a Business Owner's Policy (BOP), commercial property coverage and general liability protection.
First, establish a chain of command, a communication plan, and an exit strategy should you need one. Involve your staff members in the emergency instructions so that everyone is on the same page. Next, ensure your staff members are familiar with tornado procedures.
Prepare For Power Outages
Here are some steps you can take to manage and prepare for power failures.
- Clearly label circuit breakers
- Keep a generator on site
- When severe storms come, unplug computers and other equipment that could be damaged by the surge
- Install surge protectors
- Service emergency equipment prior to storms to ensure it will work when you need it
- Keep backup digital files for critical information
Protect Your Home Or Office
Take an inventory of your important items before a storm. This will help to report lost or damage property after a severe spring storm. Ensure all latches and supports are in good working order and that heavy items are secured. Next, find a home for loose items, especially important documents.
Here at SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park, we strive to keep our customers satisfied and provide them the right information and advice to help them in these situations. Please call us at 631-661-3802. We are open 24/7, always here to help "Like it never even Happened"
Fire prevention tips
Fire damage that started in the basement
Obviously, fire damage is an extremely horrible thing to occur. It is highly important to know how to properly prevent a fire. Here are some important fire prevention tips:
1) Install smoke alarms. When smoke is detected the smoke alarms will alert the people in the house and the local fire department in your area
2) Test your smoke alarms in your home or business every month to ensure they work properly
3) If there is fire in your home GET OUT immediately, do not linger around in the building or grab anything. Your safety is more important then an object.
4) Have an emergency plan with your family to make sure everyone in the house knows were to go and do in case of fire
If you unfortunately have fire damage in your home, SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park is here to help.
SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park is always here to help "Like it never even happened." Please call us at 631-661-3802. We are open 24/7
Coinsurance on a commercial property
Coinsurance policy was used on this building, it was fire bombed
Coinsurance clauses are found in a wide range of insurance policies, but serve varying purposes depending on the area of insurance. When used in the context of property insurance, coinsurance is defined as "the percentage of the value of the property that a policyholder is required to insure." Coinsurance clauses are included in commercial property policies in order to ascertain that policyholders are purchasing a sufficient limit of insurance, and penalizes those who do not. If the policyholder fails to purchase an adequate amount of the value for their insured property, then their claim payment is reduced and they may not be fully covered in the event of a disaster. When this happens, the insurer compares the policy’s limit at the time of the loss against the amount required by the coinsurance percentage to calculate what will be paid out on the claim. Let's illustrate this in an example: Say a building is valued at $1,000,000 and the insurance policy contains an 80% coinsurance clause. This clause would specify the policyholder insures the building for $800,000. If the policyholder were to only purchase $600,000, they would be subject to penalty in the case of a property loss. Continuing the above scenario, if only $600,000 of property limit is purchased and a fire occurs that causes $300,000 in damage repair, the claim payout would be calculated by dividing the actual insured amount ($600,000) by the required insured amount ($800,000), or 75%. That percentage is then multiplied against the $300,000 loss, so the policyholder would only receive $225,000 minus any applicable deductible. Insuring the property at an amount less than the coinsurance clause percentage detracts from the claim payout. Coinsurance does not affect you until a loss is suffered, but it is essential to be aware of the inclusion of this clause when purchasing a policy as it will directly impact the coverage you receive in the event of a disaster.
Here at SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park, we are here to help "Like it never even happened." Please give us a call at 631-661-3802
Commercial Insurance Cover Weather- Related Damage
This business used their interruption insurance from a fire that break out
Different Ways Weather Can Impact a Business
There are many different ways weather can impact a business. For example electrical storms and snow could knock out power and make it impossible to operate your business. However, it could also damage your buildings and make it necessary to shut down. In this way, you could lose business capabilities for an extended period. Thankfully, insurance will cover many of these problems to minimize your losses.
Business Disruption Insurance is Crucial
General commercial insurance may not cover these problems if you do not include business disruption coverage. This type of insurance coverage is designed to help cover losses when weather or damages impact the operation of your business. It will help get your business back in working shape and minimize personal and businesses losses in an effective manner. As weather-related damage is considered an act of God, specific coverage like this is needed for your business.
When purchasing this type of insurance, it is important to choose a type that covers all possible damage. For example, it should cover emergency repairs to your building, equipment breakdown, food spoilage, loss of power, tree damage, loss of water,wind damage, snow damage, and winter storm damage. These types of weather damage are hard to predict and must be covered as much as possible.
Please give SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park at 631-661-3802
FAQ's about Water and Mold
1) Q: Is it a good idea to clean up and dry out the water damage myself?
A: If water flooded a large portion of your home or office, it’s the water you can’t see, the water that wicks up behind the wall or under the floors, that causes mold or mildew. You need a licensed professional to clean up water damage to get to properly clean and dry out the water.
2) Q: How long does it take to dry out my home or business?
A: The answer completely depends on the situation and circumstances. Usually, it takes around 2-3 days to dry out an average sized room. Also, concrete takes longer to dry than wood.
3) Q: Is it okay for me to open windows or doors during the drying process?
A: IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO NOT! Our crew specifically sets up your property to dry it efficiently and properly. By opening up windows and doors it can cause drying problems based on weather conditions. Also, do not turn on the air conditioner or heat during the drying process.
It is important that when you have water damage that a trained and licensed professional properly takes care of
Please give us a call at 631-661-3802 for any more questions, concerns and more information
How to properly dry water intrusion in your home or business
mold on the carpet/floor
This photo was taken a few months ago from mold damage. Unfortunately, mold damage can occur from anything related to water in the area that their was mold. Anything, from a leaky pipe to a flood mold damage can happen in the most inconvenient times. It is highly important that the mold is cleaned and taken care of properly.
Here are some tips to properly dry the water intrusion to prevent mold growth:
- Moisture levels in all affected building components should be measured to determine where the water damage has occurred.
- Hidden moisture, such as in ceiling plenums and wall cavities, must be tracked and measured.
- The right equipment for the job must be properly placed for rapid drying.
- Daily moisture readings should be recorded and reported (a critical defense in case of health allegations).
- Determine the building’s normal moisture level and document goal attainment.
We hope mold growth never occurs in your home, but if it does SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park is always here to help 24/7 "Like it never even happened." Call us with any questions, estimates, concerns and more information at 631-661-3802
Fire damage in home
Pictured: A fire caused the home severe damage
This photo was taken after fire damage in a home. The crew was there to help and the situation was taken care of. Obviously, fire damage in your home is very devastating.
Before the professionals start your fire damage restoration project, here are some things to do after a fire:
- Limit activity and foot traffic in your home. Staying off of carpet, furniture, and upholstery is key to preventing soot, dirt, and other particles from getting trapped all around your home.
- If you do need to get around your home quite a bit, put down clean towels or sheets on the floor and furniture.
- If possible, change filters in your home to keep dirt and soot from circulating.
- Don’t try to wash the walls or carpet — leave that for the professionals to avoid permanent damage.
- Don’t try to clean kitchen appliances yourself. After a fire, electrical connections and wiring may be damaged and could cause further problems if not cleaned carefully and correctly. Leave it to professionals to take care of that
Here at SERVPRO of Babylon/ Deer Park is always here for you, your home and your business. Please give us a call at 631-661-3802.
Accumulated mess is now in desperate need of a cleanup
A very much messy basement, need a hefty cleanup
This job was done last April. The problem was the massive amounts of stuff piled up from years and years of not being cleaned. It was time something was done. Dirt and dust has accumulated on the items in the basement. Here are some steps to help clean up a disaster in your home:
- First off, if you left most of those things in the basement for years you probably do not want them anymore, THROW IT OUT!
- After you have thrown out all the unwanted things its time for you to remove any carpet or flooring that was too damaged to be salvaged.
- Next, you must clean the floor and ceilings and make sure its ready for any new carpet or flooring you want to put in
- Lastly, you add new flooring or carpet to your room and you MUST maintain this in order to prevent another cleanup.
SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park is always here to help 24/7 "Like it never even happened." Please give us a call at 631-661-3802