How to prevent Water Damage in your Basement
Obviously, having water damage in your basement is an an unfortunate event to happen in your home, but here are some ways to prevent water damage:
1. Check for Leakage
- Check for dark spots under pipes inside sink cabinets, stains on ceilings, toilets that rock, and of course drips.
- At least once a year, inspect your roof. This is very important. Repair missing, loose, and damaged shingles. Repair any cracked caulking and check for leaks around flashing
2. Sump Pumps
Make sure you test sump pumps regularly to ensure they will work during a flood. Here is how to do test them.
- Slowly fill the sump pump pit with water. Watch for the “float” (similar to the float in your toilet) to rise, which should turn on the pump. Then watch to make sure the water level falls.
- Test your backup pump the same way, but unplug the main pump first.
- You always want your sump pumps to work to prevent any floods from happening
We at SERVPRO of Babylon/Deer Park are always here to help with any Water Damage issues. 24/7. Just give us a call at 631-661-3802 "Like it never even happened."